Nonprofits and foundations promote or “sell” ideas rather than widgets, so their websites need to be built and managed with this distinction in mind. It is important for these types of organizations to generate fresh, expert-level content on a regular basis and consistently push this content out to their audiences. This will help accomplish several important goals — among these are:
- Reinforcing credibility. Pushing out a regular stream of relevant content will help establish your organization as a thought-leader on its core mission subject matter and reinforce your reputation in the area.
- Increasing your website’s search engine optimization (SEO). Consistently publishing expert-level content will feed search engines a stream of fresh, relevant content, thereby improving your ranking in search results and putting the link to your site in front of more users overall.
- Building web traffic. The improvement in SEO and enhanced reputation will increase traffic to the organization’s website, which will expand the organization’s reach and could offer a greater incentive for potential partners and funders to team up with your organization.
- Maximizing engagement. A steady stream of relevant content will convey an underlying message that your organization is well run and thriving. This will make it easier to engage members, funders, and advocates — both existing and potential ones.
- Enhancing organizational stability. More traffic and an engaged constituency will create strength because your organization will have access to a wider and more engaged audience to help build momentum for your cause.
It is important to note that when it comes to producing content, technology is only part of the solution. You also need to create an environment that fosters a regular flow of new material within your organization. The Sustainable Content Ecosystem is an invaluable framework that will put your organization on the right track to achieve these goals. A properly supported ecosystem will enable you to produce robust content to feature on your website and social media pages. By streamlining existing workflows, this integrated approach will help your nonprofit consistently generate content that turns your audience into advocates and stronger supporters of your organization.
Read more about our guide to building a Sustainable Content Ecosystem here. Or get in touch today to schedule a free 30-minute consultation that will help you figure out your personal next steps to becoming a content whisperer yourself.
Dominic Vecchiollo is a content whisperer who helps nonprofits build sustainable content ecosystems to better manage their digital content. He has worked in the nonprofit sector, both in house and as a consultant, for more than 20 years. In addition to producing websites that work for nonprofits, associations and foundations, his firm, DOSSU Design + Consulting LLC, develops branding, designs nonprofit collateral and advocacy reports, and creates award-winning public-health campaigns. He works from his adopted hometown of Baltimore and is learning to explore its rich urban environment by staying active through Parkour training.